A free government phone program California helps low-income residents and those who struggle to communicate regularly. You can get a free cell phone in California through the Lifeline or ACP programs. Low-income and disabled individuals may qualify for these assistance programs to receive low-cost phone service. Here’s how and where to get a free government phone in California.
Even though California is frequently associated with its lavish lifestyles in the media, many Californians live in poverty or are unemployed and cannot afford the necessary means to stay connected. The Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), which provides free phone and broadband services to low-income households, are among the government assistance programs available. The Lifeline/ACP program also offers free 4G Phones or Free 5G Phones to eligible individuals.
Government Assistance Programs in California
The state with the most people in the country is unlikely to be associated with poverty, considering its 39 million residents. California still has more than 6.5 million poor people. One of the reasons behind these depressing figures is the 7.6% unemployment rate (the fifth highest in the country). Due to this, a large number of people seek government assistance. Many people sign up for programs offering free government mobile services and smartphones, such as California Lifeline Problem and ACP.
How to get Free Government Phone California?
The State of California offers a Lifeline program that assists Californians in getting free phones. There are, however, some restrictions. The government is providing free phones to those who cannot afford them.
California’s Lifeline and ACP programs offer free Government phones and free texting, calls, data, and more through several wireless service providers.
Lifeline Eligibility for Free Government Phone California
Lifeline Assistance for Californians has the same eligibility requirements as Lifeline Assistance for the general public.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
It is possible to receive Californian Lifeline benefits as an adult if you are 18 or older in one of two ways:
Program-based Eligibility for Lifeline Program
Participate in any of these below-shared programs if you or anyone in your household does –
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- CalFresh, Food Stamps, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- National School Lunch Program (NSL)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Welfare-to-Work (WTW)
- Greater Avenues for Independence (GAIN)
- Tribal TANF
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)
- Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC)
- Stanislaus County Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (StanWORKs)
- Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Federal Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit Program
Income-Based Eligibility for Lifeline
A household income of less than 200% (135% for Lifeline) of the Federal Poverty Guideline will qualify you. To qualify for ACP in California, a household of four must make at least $55,500 per year.
How to apply for the free Government phone California online?
Here are the steps you need to follow to receive a free Government phone California same as a free government phone in Mississippi –
- Go to https://www.californialifeline.com/en/login.
- You will need to enter your phone number or enrollment code followed by your PIN.
- Log in by clicking the Login button.
- Enter all your information by clicking the Apply button.
- Please upload your required documents and submit the application form.
How to apply for free Government phone California via Mail
The following steps will guide you through the process of applying for a free government phone in California via mail –
- Download your application form by logging in to your account.
- Make sure a hard copy of all required documents accompanies the application form.
- You can reach the California Lifeline Administrator at PO Box 138014, Sacramento, CA 95813-8014.
It may take seven to ten days for your phone to arrive after your application has been processed and approved.
Required Documents for Free Government Phone California?
You will need to submit the following documents to prove that you are eligible for the free phone:
- An official document must confirm your participation in the program
- A birth certificate proving your full name is required
- Utility Bill
- Mortgage statement
- Driving License
- Birth certificate
- Current paycheck or Income source statement
- Statements of taxes owed from the previous year issued by the government, state, or tribal government
- A government-issued ID is a proof that you are older than 18 years old
- Paycheck for the current month
- Statement of unemployment or workers’ compensation
- Divorce decree
- Statements of pension or retirement benefits
What type of phone can I get from the California Lifeline Providers?
Most California lifeline providers cannot disclose in advance which phone models they offer since their offers depend on availability, area, and other factors.
A few providers, however, do disclose their free phone models beforehand, stating that you will receive one of the following phones –
- Alcatel Go Flip 4 (flip)
- Apple iPhone SE
- Apple iPhone 6
- Apple iPhone 7
- Apple iPhone 8
- Coolpad Belleza (flip)
- Google Pixel
- LG G8 ThinQ
- LG K51
- LG Stylo 6
- LG V50 ThinQ 5GMotorola G Stylus
- Samsung Galaxy A01
- Samsung Galaxy A50
- Samsung Galaxy S9
- Samsung Note 8
California Lifeline Cell Phone Providers
The Lifeline program is available in California through several providers. The benefits of each are, however, different.
The following is a list of the top Lifeline Assistance companies in California –
AirTalk Wireless is popular among American service providers for Lifeline and ACP. AirVoice, an FCC-licensed telecommunications carrier, administers the program that provides Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program services to qualified customers. Obtaining a cost-free iPhone from AirTalk Wireless may be possible if you meet the eligibility criteria. Get a brand new iPhone for a limited time and enjoy all its benefits.
Cintex Wireless is also a top supplier and participates in the ACP and Lifeline programs. The Cintex free plan includes unlimited texts, calls, and high-speed data for qualifying customers. The company also offers free 4G smartphones as part of its free service. To stay updated on your Cintex Wireless application’s status, you can easily track it if you’ve already applied. Track your application here to stay up-to-date.
Can an Oregon resident get a smartphone through the Lifeline Assistance Program?
Yes, of course. A free smartphone is available to Oregon residents who qualify for the Lifeline Assistance Program.
Can I keep my current phone number if I switch to a Lifeline Assistance Program phone?
Lifeline Assistance Program participants can keep their existing phone numbers if they get a phone through the program. It is important to confirm with your provider you can take your number with you before switching.
Can I use my Lifeline Assistance Program phone outside of Oregon?
Lifeline phones can be used anywhere in the United States. However, roaming charges may apply if you use your phone outside Oregon.
Smartphones have become an essential part of our daily lives. California residents who qualify for Lifeline and ACP should not miss their chance to apply for a free smartphone. Look at Lifeline and ACP providers and decide which is best for you.