How to Get Free Landline Phone Service with the Internet – We can only imagine life with smartphones and the Internet today. Many people, however, still use landlines as a means of communication. If you live in a rural area with few cell towers or are on a tight budget, a landline phone with internet service might be a good choice. It’s good news that you can get free landline phone service with the Internet.
What is Free Landline Phone Service With The Internet?
Several Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are participating in the Federal Communications Commission’s Lifeline program to provide this service. As part of the service, a traditional landline phone service is combined with a high-speed internet connection.
Subsidies are available for landlines and mobile phones under this program. Households with low incomes can access phone services for free or at an affordable cost through the program.
Lifeline Assistance Programs are available in every state and tribal territory. The organization’s main objective is facilitating access to family, friends, emergency services, and employment opportunities for Americans.
Why Would I Need a Free Landline Phone Service With Internet?
For several reasons, it is possible to have free landline phone service with the Internet.
- The main reason is that landlines are reliable sources of communication, even during power outages or other emergencies that may disrupt cell phone service.
- Landline phones are also preferred over cell phones for calls that are important to them, especially for business or personal matters.
- If you don’t have a mobile phone, using a landline phone for long-distance and local calls can also be more affordable.
- There are several benefits associated with landline phone service, including no battery worries, lower hacking and fraud risks, and cost-effectiveness.
- You can also use online communication tools and video calls when you combine landline phone service with the Internet.
- Free internet access, however, offers users a wealth of benefits, including staying in touch with loved ones, accessing information, working remotely, and staying entertained.
The ability to stay connected and access important information is made possible by a free landline phone service that includes internet access.
How Can I Get a Free Landline Phone Service With Internet
A government assistance program is the best way to get free landline phones and Internet services. You are best served by Lifeline’s assistance program, which offers discounts on phone, Internet, and wireless services up to $9.25 per month or up to $34.25 per month for eligible tribal members.
It is impossible to simultaneously receive Lifeline discount rates for both wireline and wireless services. Aside from broadband internet and bundles that include broadband voice, the Lifeline program also supports broadband internet services. According to the FCC, households can receive up to one Lifeline service per household.
Tribal households are eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) and can also take advantage of a discount of up to $30 or $75 on their monthly internet services.
Alternatively, some Internet service providers offer packages that include both Internet and phone service to get a free landline telephone with Internet service. A special device called an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) may also be included in these packages to connect your landline phone to the Internet.
There are also non-profit organizations, charities, or specialized apps that offer free landline phone service with the Internet. The following sections will provide a more detailed look at these options.
How do I Qualify for a Free Landline Phone with the Internet?
The Lifeline program must be applied for to receive a free landline phone.
The FCC has established Lifeline Assistance, Program eligibility criteria. To qualify for the Lifeline program, you must meet the following requirements:
- The minimum registration age is 18, or you must be an emancipated minor.
- For a free landline phone service, you must be a citizen of the state where you apply.
You may check for further requirements if you meet these two conditions.
You must meet two main criteria to be eligible for the Lifeline program. There is a requirement that you must meet from the list below.
The Federal Poverty Guidelines say a family’s annual income must be below 135% to qualify for Lifeline.
If you are a beneficiary of another government support program, you can qualify for the Lifeline program. The Lifeline program may be available if you participate in one of the following programs.
- Food Stamps/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
If you belong to Tribal land, you may check your participation in the following program –
- Bureau of Indian Affairs Assistance
- Tribal Head Start
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Tribal TANF
Documents Required For Free Landline Phone Service With Internet
Lifeline Assistance Program benefits cannot be obtained simply by meeting eligibility requirements. Based on your eligibility, you must provide supporting documents to prove your qualification.
Depending on your eligibility, here are the documents you need to submit during your application:
Proof of income
You must submit a document containing your household income and full name if you apply based on your income.
Here are the documents that have been accepted.
- Your employer’s current income statement
- Federal, state, or tribal tax returns from the previous year
- Benefits statement for workers’ compensation
- Statement of Social Security Benefits
- Statement of Benefits from the Veterans Administration
- Paystubs for the past 12 months
- Benefits statement for pensions
- Divorce decree
- Child support award
Proof of program participation
The Lifeline program offers free landline phone service with the Internet if you participate in another government support program. To qualify, you must submit a document with your full name, the program’s name, the certificate’s authority, and the date it was issued.
The following documents were accepted:
- Obtaining government approval
- Letter of benefit award
- Letter of program verification
- Benefits statement for the assistance program
- Documentation from the children’s schools
Your age, identity, and address may also be verified with documents and your eligibility documents. The following documents must be provided to you –
- Birth certificate
- Driving license
- US passport
- Foreign passport
- Military, state, or tribal identification
- Certificate of citizenship
- Certificate of naturalization
- Certificate of emancipation (if an emancipated minor)
How to Apply for Free Landline Phone Service with the Internet?
If you’d like to get free landline phone service online, there are three ways you can do it –
Online application via the National Verifier
The National Verifier allows you to apply for Lifeline Assistance online.
To apply online, follow these steps:
- Visit the National Verifier’s official website at nv.fcc.gov/lifeline.
- On the top of the screen, select “Consumer sign-in.”. Existing customers can sign in directly with their credentials.
- If you are a new customer, click “Create your account.”.
- Log in with your correct details and create an account.
- Click the drop-down icon to select your state.
- Select your state and click on “Get started”.
- A National Verifier application form will appear.
- Please fill out the application form with your correct information.
- Please upload your eligibility documentation.
- The final step is to submit your form.
Application via mail
It is also possible to apply for the Lifeline program by mail to receive free landline phone service with internet access. The application form must be downloaded and printed.
Application forms must be filled out manually, and supporting documents must be attached. The application package should be sent to Lifeline Support Center, PO Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
Application through the Provider
It is also possible to apply for the Lifeline program through any provider.
To do the same, please follow the instructions below.
- Your state might have Lifeline providers offering free Internet and landline services. This article covers a list of US Lifeline participating service providers.
- Upon locating a provider, contact them to determine how to apply.
- The online application for your preferred provider can be completed on their official website if it is available. It is also possible to complete the application in person if your provider does not provide an online application.
- Once your application has been approved, your provider will schedule an installation appointment.
- The service providers will come to your house to set up your landline phone and internet connection.
Provider Who Offers Free Landline Phone Service with the Internet?
Several providers in the United States offer free landline phone service –
Comcast & Xfinity
Comcast Xfinity is the first on the list offering Internet and phone bundles. There are a variety of plans and speeds available.
In addition to high download speeds, unlimited calling within the country, caller ID, voicemail, and call waiting are included in the Xfinity X1 Starter Double Play package.
Verizon is the second largest service provider in the country. The Verizon Fios service offers high-speed fiber-optic Internet and landline telephone service, all bundled together.
There are many awesome features included with Fios Internet and Voice, including 200 Mbps download speed, unlimited nationwide calling, and caller id.
A top provider of landline phone service, AT&T participates in the Lifeline program and offers free landline service. The AT&T Internet bundles download speeds of up to 1 Gbps, unlimited local calling and caller ID, voicemail, and call waiting features.
This option is Cox Communications, which offers Internet and phone service bundled together. With their Cox Bronze Bundle, you can download speeds up to 150 Mbps and call nationwide with unlimited minutes, caller ID, and voicemail.
This provider is Spectrum Internet, offering bundled phone and internet packages. Spectrum Internet and its voice packages offer an unlimited nationwide calling plan. Caller ID, voice mail, and call waiting are included in the package.
Other Ways to Get a Free Landline Phone Service With Internet
Those who do not qualify for government assistance discounts or cannot locate a provider in their area offering the benefits they are looking for might try their luck with the following:
- If other telecommunications companies offer free or discounted landlines and internet services, ask them if they offer a promotional deal.
- You can ask a non-profit organization or charity if they provide such services. There is little chance of receiving such benefits, and even if they do, you will be expected to prove that you cannot pay for them.
- Get a plan at a very low price. Try Ooma, Community Phone, Armstrong, Cox, Verizon Fios, and Xfinity.
- The best way to get free Internet is to connect to another open Wi-Fi network, such as a neighbor’s, a restaurant, a hotel nearby, or the cities. There are also programs like FreedomPop and Connect2Compete that can make it possible for you to get involved.
Benefits of Free Landline Phone Service with Internet
Here are some benefits of Internet-based landline phone service:
- Monthly internet bill discount of $9.25 ($34.25 on tribal lands)
- Talk time of 1,000 minutes
- Mobile internet speeds of 3G with 4.5 GB data
- Using broadband internet at 25 Mbps, 1229 GB of data was transferred
How Is My Landline Bill Paid by Lifeline?
It handles the bill for you monthly by partnering with various Internet and phone providers. A monthly bill won’t be sent to you once you’re approved through Lifeline and your phone provider.
The phone carrier will be paid directly by Lifeline. It is still possible to receive a statement or bill for your records.
It is an exception if your contract package is more expensive than your benefits. Your Lifeline credit is $9.25 monthly, but your bundle is $14.25. You’d be covered for part of it, but the difference of $5.25 every month would be your responsibility.
How do I find free landline phone service with Internet near me?
You can find a free landline phone service near you by checking the local government or non-profit organizations. Check your area to see if the service is available. By searching for local internet providers, ensure that your preferred internet provider offers such services with their packages.
What are free Internet and phone service?
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) transmits calls across the Internet or to a landline. Discover how much you can save on Residential VoIP using a computer, headset, or microphone today.
What service provider provides the best free landline phone service with the Internet?
AT&T Internet offers the fastest landline internet service with 1 Gbps and a wide range of features, such as call waiting, caller ID, and voicemail.
Can you get a landline for free?
It is possible to get a free home phone service. There is no charge for the basic plan with VoIP provider Ooma. The equipment and taxes, and fees will be a one-time cost.